Sports & Remedial Massage
What is Sports & Remedial Massage?
Massage is the most fundamental of all healing techniques. When we injure ourselves, we automatically rub the injured area. It’s a natural reaction. Massage encourages healing by promoting the flow of blood and lymph fluid to the region, which in turn rids the body tissues of waste products. Other benefits of massage include relief of muscle tension, stimulation of the nervous system and stress reduction.
Many people believe that pain is an inevitable outcome to physical activity such as sport. That’s where massage can help, by reducing or eliminating what appears to be exercise induced pain, speeding up muscle recovery by removing irritating waste products and supplying oxygen and nutrients through the blood which enables quicker recovery. This means that you can train unrestricted and more efficiently.
Sports & remedial massage is the physical treatment of the soft tissue structures of the body, to aid rehabilitation and improve performance. The aim of sports & remedial massage is to restore and maintain the normal integrity of the bodies soft tissue structures i.e. muscles, tendons, ligaments and fascia. These structures can all be affected by everyday exercise, poor posture, pain, biomechanics, medical and structural conditions, occupation, fatigue, stress, injury and overtraining.
Treatment is specific for each individual, starting with an assessment using a combination of tactile skills, anatomical knowledge and clinical understanding, to identify abnormalities in muscles and connective tissues. This knowledge is used to determine what therapeutic techniques will be required in the treatment.
Treatment may include one, or a combination of the following techniques: soft tissue manipulation, myofascial release, proprioceptive neuromuscular facilitation stretching and dry needling. This treatment uses acupuncture needles, directed at deactivating trigger points in a muscle, allowing for better function of the muscles and restoring range of motion. Corrective exercises and stretches may also be prescribed.
What are the benefits of Sports & Remedial Massage Therapy?
• Promotes healing by increasing local soft tissue blood flow and improving soft tissue alignment.
• Alleviates local and referred pain associated with Myofascial pain syndrome.
• Decreases abnormal muscle contracture caused by exercise, overuse, emotional tension, stress, trauma and the effects of surgery.
• Enables one to get back to sport faster and stronger after injury or illness with a decreased chance of injury reoccurrence.
• Reduces the strain, discomfort and stiffness sometimes associated with physical exercise.
• Increases the muscles’ effectiveness, enhancing movement and muscular strength.
• Helps to reduce and manage recurrent or chronic pain and musculoskeletal conditions.
What conditions can a Sports & Remedial Massage Therapist treat?
• Back and neck pain
• Shoulder pan
• Sports injuries
• Chronic muscle tension
• Chronic pain
• Decreased range of motion
• Biomechanical dysfunction
Sports & remedial massage therapy can be used in conjunction with other therapies so come in for a chat and try it out for yourself.